I’m honored to be able to present you with today’s the MLB Notes from one of the Best minds in the DFS Industry. My good friend from our beloved Buckey State, Crazy Gabey has been so kind to allow us to share his daily MLB Notes with all of you here at Daily Roto Sharks. If you’ve never heard of Crazy Gabey, first, where have you been? Secondly, you can follow him on Twitter @ and you can also listen to his Daily Podcast over on www.RotoGrinders.com
Here is the link from the RG Podcast this morning, which you can listen to while following along with the Notes below
Thanks again Gabey, we very much appreciate you allow us to share this here.
Quick note about today’s podcast from Gabey and Hoop… Please pay special attention to the early portion of the show. Where Gabey and Hoop talk about dealing with a “losing streak”. I know we haven’t been killing it on Fanduel like we were earlier, but we’ve got to just trust the process when we’re running a little cold. With the MLB in particular, there will be ups and downs throughout the course of the Season. When Chris Sale, and Zach Greinke get lit up in Plus Matchups, those are just things you can’t predict. Our process led us to those players, in those situations on those days, and, in the future, it will lead us their again. Based on those players history and track record, we can’t question the process after a few bad performances. If you guys have any questions, reach out to myself, Massey, or Woodeye and we’ll talk to you guys more in depth about it.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 8TH MLB PREVIEW
LAD at PIT
- PIT 12th vs LHP w/ a 23.4% K-rate but very good individually, and MUCH better since starting the year bottom-5.
- LAD 2nd vs RHP, but have simmered down after starting the season on fire.
- Kershaw owns an insane 33.6% K-rate backed by a 15.6 SwSt%.
COL at WAS
- WAS 22nd vs LHP w/ a 22.3%K-rate & 29th overall last 30 days w/ a 25% K-rate. Those numbers have gotten worse since the studs came back.
- COL team-adjusted numbers vs RHP have been good w/ a 117 wRC+ last 30 days, but they still struggle at times away from Coors.
- Zimmermann’s 17.7% K-rate backed by a 7.5 SwSt% indicates the K’s won’t be returning. Allowing a 31 Hard% too. Giving up a .336 wOBA to LHB on a .351 BABIP.
- de la Rosa allowing 10.9% BB-rate & 34.3 Hard%. Bad vs RHB & good vs LHB.
MIA at ATL
- ATL 26th vs RHP & 27th overall last 30 days.
- MIA 30th vs RHP & 28th overall last 30 days.
- Jose can his monstrous 31.3% K-rate & 14.6 SwSt% hold?
- Teheran 8.8% BB-rate & 32.6 Hard%. Allowing 1.23 HR/9 on inflated HR/FB%. Allowing a .380 wOBA to LHB on a .341 BABIP.
STL at MIL
- STL 10th vs RHP but just 21st overall last 30 days. Huge park upgrade.
- MIL 25th vs RHP.
- Lynn 25.2% K-rate may be optimistic considering his 9.7 SwSt%. Struggles w/ LHB may be returning w/ a .312 wOBA allowed on a .262 BABIP.
CIN at ARI
- Ray allowing 38.4 Hard%.
- Iglesias owns impressive 22.3% K-rate backed by an 11.6 SwSt%. FIP & xFIP indicate he should be better moving forward. Struggling vs LHB but it’s mostly BABIP-related.
PHI at SD
- PHI 29th vs RHP but they have been hitting better over the last 30 days. Huge park downgrade.
- SD 23rd vs RHP w/ a 21.9% K-rate.
- Shields owns a 25.9% K-rate backed by a 13.2 SwSt%. 8.3% BB-rate & 1.35 HR/9 on an inflated HR/FB%. It is a career-long struggle though. .372 wOBA allowed to LHB.
BOS at DET
- BOS 20th vs LHP but they don’t K much. Huge park downgrade.
- DET 6th vs RHP, & the offense is slowly losing steam w/ the loss of Miggy & Cespedes settling in.
- Norris has huge K-rate potential, but hasn’t flashed it yet this season.
- Kelly 8.3% BB-rate & 1.12 HR/9 w/ a 33.1 Hard%. TERRIBLE vs both sides of the plate.
TOR at NYY
- TOR 4th vs RHP & 6th overall last 30 days.
- NYY 3rd vs RHP & 1st overall last 30 days.
- Dickey allowing 1.06 HR/9 & an 8.1% BB-rate.
- Eovaldi allowing a .382 wOBA to LHB on a .406 BABIP.
MIN at CLE
- MIN 28th vs RHP & 22nd overall last 30 days. The spark from Sano is gone.
- CLE was top-5 vs RHP for a long time, but has quickly fallen to 20th during a massive offensive drought. 23rd overall last 30 days.
- Cody will continue to get shelled w/ his pitch to contact style w/ no K’s. Allowing a .342 wOBA to LHB on a .246 BABIP.
- Pelfrey right around a .325 wOBA allowed to both sides of the plate.
CWS at KAN
- CWS 21st vs RHP & 5th overall last 30 days w/ a 23.2% K-rate. Huge park downgrade.
- Edinson 9% BB-rate. Around a .320-ish wOBA true talent vs both sides of the plate.
- Danks 1.18 HR/9 is a career-long issue. .377 wOBA vs RHB.
BAL at LAA
- BAL 21st vs LHP w/ a 22.3% K-rate. 19th overall last 30 days. Huge park downgrade.
- LAA has cooled down after being on fire for the last two months. Still much better (12th) vs RHP than they were to start the season (bottom-5).
- Heaney’s BABIP, LOB%, and 38.4 Hard% are all disconcerting.
HOU at OAK
- OAK 30th overall last 30 days, but they don’t K much. .113 ISO over that span.
- HOU 5th vs RHP w/ a 24.1% K-rate & 9th overall last 30 days w/ just a 18.3% K-rate. That number has been trending down for a few months now. Huge park downgrade
- Keuchel improved w/ a 23% K-rate. Inhuman 63.6 GB% & 24.5 Soft%.
TEX at SEA
- SEA 15th vs LHP but 3rd overall last 30 days.
- TEX 9th vs RHP & 8th overall last 30 days. Huge park downgrade.
- Hamels owns a 25.3% K-rate backed by a 13.3 SwSt%.
- Iwakuma allowing 33.5 Hard%. HR’s have been a huge issues this season, and over his career. Allowing a .325+ wOBA to both sides of the plate.
NYM at TAM
- TAM 24th vs RHP w/ a 22.2% K-rate but 7th overall last 30 days.
- 22nd vs RHP but 11th overall last 30 days.
- deGrom 26.2% K-rate backed by an 11.9 SwSt%.
- Odorizzi allowing .302 wOBA to RHB on a .221 BABIP. There could be a huge reverse split lurking, which makes sense considering his split-change.