Today / Tonight we’ve got a split slate with 4 games early and 5 games late. Gabey and Hoop break it all down for us.
Once again, a big shout out and thank you to Gabey, Hoop and RotoGrinders for allowing me to share this with our subscribers here. You can follow him on Twitter @ and you can also listen to his Daily Podcast over on www.RotoGrinders.com
Here is the link to today’s podcast. I suggest you print out the notes below and follow along;
8-13-15 – 4 GAME EARLY SLATE
MIL at CHC
- MIL has been bad vs LHP all year, and that was before they lost CarGo and Aramis.
- CHC offense is finally starting to look alive, although they’ve been striking out a ton all year while buried at the bottom of the ranks vs RHP.
- Lester is somehow flying under the radar after a tough start to the season.
- Cravy has been a gas can in limited work this season.
COL at NYM
- Throw out everything you know about the NYM. This is a different team with infinitely higher upside. And they look to be having fun.
- Vegas continues to hate COL on the road, despite the respectable park-adjusted numbers.
- Thor is the real deal in every regard. Rarely do you see a rookie whose peripherals all agree with his profile.
- Butler is dead on arrival with his 11.4% K-rate paired up with an 11.7% BB-rate. Gas can wOBA’s.
OAK at TOR
- TOR has become death, destroyer of worlds.
- OAK continues to be a shit stain on offense. They lack power and swing at everything, inducing loads of weak contact.
- Gray has evened out as a slightly above average K pitcher w/ solid control. That won’t be enough vs TOR. The BABIP’s are way too low.
- Buehrle is a control master who limits mistakes. That should be enough today. Showing a slight reverse split, although it’s hidden by his BABIP vs LHB.
TEX at MIN
- TEX is fringe top-10 vs RHP.
- MIN has been up and down all season, but with the book out on Chi-Chi it shouldn’t be too difficult. Vegas believes too.
- Chi-Chi is doomed by his 8.3% K-rate paired up with a 10.6% BB-rate.
- Santana struggling with control and HR’s, which is likely why Vegas believes he’s going to get rocked tonight. He’s been a gas can this season.
8-13-15 – 5 GAME LATE SLATE
PIT at STL
- STL has really struggled vs LHP all season long, and they aren’t exactly lighting the world on fire over the last 45 days.
- PIT generally hits RHP well, and have been a top-10 offense over the last 30 days.
- Lynn’s 25%+ K-rate seems a little high considering his league average SwSt%. 8.2% BB-rate. His struggles vs LHB are sitting right on the edge of becoming a major issue. If the BABIP vs them rises he could be in trouble, which would not be new.
- Liriano is having one of the best SwSt% seasons of the last 25 years at 14.1%. The control can still be an issue at times.
CIN at LAD
- LAD second vs RHP.
- Latos allowing a .339 wOBA to LHB.
WAS at SF
- SF is insane vs RHP, and just amazing overall.
- WAS is trying to come out of an offensive coma now that they have all their pieces back (minus Span). They’ve been bottom-10 over the last 30 days w/ a 22%+ K-rate.
- Vogelsong has an issue allowing HR’s, and he’s also allowing a 32 Hard%. Allowing a .372 wOBA to LHB.
- Strasburg SwSt% is below league average despite his 25% K-rate. Allowing one HR/9 and a .345 BABIP.
NYY at CLE
- After taking a couple months off from playing offense, CLE is finally starting to swing the bat again. They were top-5 vs RHP for most of the season.
- NYY is the only team that has a case vs TOR as top overall offense in the AL. They crush RHP.
- Bauer has been bad vs LHB, but a crazy low BABIP is hiding the bigger issue. Allowing over one HR/9. Almost a 10% BB-rate.
- Eovaldi allowing a massive wOBA to LHB on a massive BABIP. Tough to tell which is leading to which.
LAA at KAN
- LAA is now top-10 overall vs RHP after being mired in the bottom-5 for a long time to start the season. They are in the middle of a big time slump right now though.
- KAN just plugs away at RHP without fanning.
- Richards struggling with control and not missing bats the way he did last season. Low BABIP is masking some of his struggles.
- Guthrie is a gas can vs LHB w/ a .401 wOBA. Not terrible vs RHB, but can be beaten by the better ones.