Welp… Justin Verlander pitched a 1 hit, complete game shutout yesterday vs the Angles…
Not good when you’ve got Albert Pujols and Mike Trout in quite a few lineups… That’s Baseball however, no matter how much data we review and analyze, sometimes strange things happen and you have to move on.
Today is a brand new day, a nice Split Slate day for us and we’ll start by breaking it all down with Gabey’s MLB Preview.
Once again, a big shout out and thank you to Gabey, Dean and Stevie and the RotoGrinders crew for allowing me to share this with our subscribers here. I highly reccomend you follow these guys on Twitter, @ @ and @ you can also listen to his Daily Podcast over on www.RotoGrinders.com
Here is the link to today’s podcast. I suggest you print out the notes below and follow along;
LAD at CIN
- LAD top-5 vs RHP, and in a great ballpark for power.
- Desclafani still struggling with control. Very hittable by LHB.
- Votto 12-for-27 with 3 HR and 4 2B.
LAA at DET
- LAA have been so bad, but that shouldn’t matter today.
- DET crushes RHP and are firing on all cylinders with Miggy back.
- Shoemaker getting hit hard and allowing a lot of home runs. He’s allowing a gas can-like wOBA’s vs both sides of the plate.
- Wolf is a gas can.
TOR at TEX
- TEX is a fringe top-10 team vs RHP, but especially when at home.
- TOR is unfair right now. Globe Life isn’t a drop off from Rogers Centre.
- Gallardo control issues. He can struggle against LHB a little bit.
- Estrada has a historical HR issue. Dubiously low BABIP vs both sides of the plate is making him look far better than he’s pitched.
- Tulo 11-for-24 with 1 HR and 4 2B.
BAL at KAN
- BAL gets a big park downgrade, and haven’t been hitting the ball as well over the second half of the season.
- KAN gonna KAN.
- Tillman has control issues. Showing a major reverse split.
- Ventura has control issues. Struggling against LHB.
CHC at SF
- CHC offense has come alive, but experiencing a huge park shift.
- SF top-5 vs RHP, hits just fine at home.
- Haren is getting smashed, and allowing tons of home runs. He’s allowing a .369 wOBA vs LHB, and the BABIP vs RHB shows he’ll be bad against them as well.
- Byrd 14-for-35 with 3 HR, 5 2B, and 1 3B.
NYM at PHI
- PHI is pesky, and on a roll since the ASB,
- NYM are just mashing right now.
- Niese allowing around 1 HR/9. Bad vs both sides of the plate this year.
- Harang is just a bad pitch to contact guy at this point. Loves giving up home runs. Getting torched by LHB.
- Wright 13-for-30 with 4 2B and a 1 HR.
SD at WAS
- SD is abysmal vs RHP.
- WAS cannot seem to get their offense together, even with everyone back and healthy. They K a surprisingly high amount of the time.
- Ross has been electrifying so far, with a 12.8 SwSt% that suggests even more K upside. Excellent control for a youngster. Still needs to figure out how to retire LHB.
- Cashner getting CRUSHED by LHB. Very strong vs RHB though.
PIT at MIA
- PIT is on a roll after starting the season cold. They have lots of LHP mashers.
- MIA is the worst team in baseball vs RHP.
- Nicolino getting hit hard.
MIN at TAM
- TAM is top-5 over the last 45 days, and top-3 vs LHP all season.
- MIN getting a ballpark downgrade, and have not been swinging well all season.
- Smyly has really struggled vs RHB in the past.
- Milone has a career-long HR issue. Getting rocked by RHB, and the BABIP vs LHB suggests he should be getting rocked by them as well.
SEA at CWS
- SEA top-10 over the last 45 days. Started season extremely slow.
- CWS top-10 over the last 45 days. Started season extremely slow.
- Elias has control issues, and allows a lot of HR’s. Allowing a borderline targetable wOBA to RHB on a .253 BABIP
- Rodon is doing better with his control. The K upside is very nice. Struggles vs RHB are inflated by a crazy high BABIP.
STL at ARI
- STL has been stuck in a 2-month+ slump
- Control still an issue for CarMart. It’s mainly against LHB though, where he has a high wOBA as well. The K/9 vs them being around 8.5 is the only saving grace.
- Rubby continues to carry K upside with his 11.3 SwSt%. He also continues to let balls carry over the fence for his opponents. .399 wOBA allowed to LHB, death to RHB.